Monday, August 3, 2015

XXX

In the medical field, there lives a myriad of acceptable abbreviations. Everyone in the medical field understands what these mean. It's like back in the day with shorthand. If you know the language, you can read it. If you don't, you can't. Simple.

So, take the use of X. The letter X is commonly used by providers to finish a word they simply are too overwhelmed to finish off.

For example:

Fx - fracture
Tx - treatment
Rx - prescription
Sx - symptoms
Dx - diagnosis
Ddx - differential diagnosis

So pretty clear cut, right?

No.

Today, in a chart, a provider stated : Pt (another shortcut) here for CPX.

I had to pause for a moment. Although I've been in the medical field for quite some time, this one was new. So I kept reading. Then I got it. Patient here for a routine physical.

Now.....normally, a routine physical is abbreviated to CPE. Comprehensive physical exam. So I had to ask, "Turtle, isn't E easier to tap on the keyboard than X?"

There was no answer from the universe around me. Why would the provider choose a more difficult letter to finish off the completion of an already abbreviated procedure?

The use of X has gotten way out of hand! Stop it! Just....no.

Stop it or I will hunt you down and cause you APX (acute physical pain). Yeah, I made that up!

I fully expect, if this is allowed to continue, to read something like:

Px here for fx fu. Tx plan by Dr. X and rx called in. Rdx following. Sx include pain at site, ddx possible sepsis. Pls sx pt for CPX in six months.

What? Ugh.

I don't remember getting a decoder ring when I was hired.


2 comments:

  1. Work with a provider who often abbreviates follow up as FU and check as CK. 'patient here for followup check' becomes something rather unfortunate in the EMR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw another new one today - rxn

    Recently, it seems like my providers have attended some club meeting, talked with their buddies, and have come back home with all sorts of bad advice.

    What's a mother to do?

    ReplyDelete